Root Family

Root Family

May 15, 2011

Kanarra Creek (short hike) 5.10.11

I was on a work-related trip back to St George, after having been there two weeks earlier for spring break. On my way home I thought I'd take a little detour to Kanarraville to hike Kanarra creek, which I had first seen through Bill's photos from last summer.

To get to Kanarra Creek, just head East up 100 North off Main street and you'll come to a parking lot right before the road is fenced off. Park there and follow the well-marked maintenance road from here on out.

Recently we've had some serious rain storms, coupled by a 200% snow pack, so the creek was running really high and really fast. I did some creek hopping a couple of times in order to stay dry, but after the 3rd time I was done; I removed my shoes and rolled up my pants. The water was COLD and running fast. I needed a stick to keep my balance or I would have gone down for sure.

The canyon was beautiful once you get back into it, but as you can see from my pictures, I didn't get as far as I would have liked to (see Bill's pic's; they got into the narrows section and to the awesome water fall). I was very close to that area, but it was impossible for me to keep going without risking being swept down the creek by the massive rush of water.

I really want to go back, possibly this summer. It's so close to the freeway and pretty quick to get to.

The first big crossing; had to find a skinnier spot down stream

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

The trail gets skinnier for a bit, but I can imagine when the water is not as fast, that people just hike right up through the creek at this point

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Water supply pipe is getting exposed

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

A second crossing. I went up stream a bit, barely finding some rocks to climb over and hop to the other side to continue

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Another crossing (can you see how this is getting a bit tiresome?)

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Canyon is getting a bit skinnier in the background

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

The first crossing with bare feet. I had considered trying the log with my shoes on, but I thought I'd be safer just wading through the water bare foot.

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

View of the creek before I crossed it



There was a mini-alcove across the creek

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

And beyond the alcove just around the corner was a this tiny fall that had some massive water pouring over

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek



05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

The rest was a bit un-eventful. Traveled off the path a bit to avoid getting too wet; climbed up high on a cliff to by-pass some areas that I couldn't pass (too fast and deep)

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Cold bare feet

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

My by-pass route

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Selfie on the bypass route

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

This was as far as I got across the creek. I had ditched my shoes and decided to go barefoot, but found a ways up that it got to narrow (note my shoes across the creek)

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Too narrow to keep going

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

Selfie after returning to the first barefoot crossing

05.10.11 Kanarra Creek

I had to get home quickly, so I high-tailed it back, running most of the way in wet pants. I can't wait to go back under better circumstances.







1 comment:

Jeffrey Root said...

Hiking on your own must be relaxing.