Root Family

Root Family

Mar 10, 2010

San Rafael Swell Day 1: Goblin Valley March 2010

Cabin fever had been set in for a LONG time, especially for Alene. I was fortunate enough to be able to slip out to some desert hiking in a January trip to St George back in January, so I had had a tiny fix.

Since we are having an unusually cold winter, we decided to get a hotel in Green River, UT. DON'T EVER STAY AT THE RAMADA LIMITED!! The hotel was horrible. The first room they gave us had not been cleaned (towels and bedding still on the floor) and the "continental breakfast" consisted of sour milk, peeled hardboiled eggs (I personally like to peel my own), and stale bread. We've stayed at the Comfort Inn before, which I don't remember much, but I'm sure is much better than this place. Our next try will likely be the Holiday Inn, but I'm hoping to limit our hotel stays while visiting the desert to once a year (late winter).

Back to the trip. We left on Friday morning and headed straight for Goblin Valley. We were really worried about the recent storms and even a week ago when I passed by the swell while on a work trip, I had seen the area COVERED in snow, so I was worried. We had had dry weather down there for the week leading up to us going down there, so we were optimistic. We scored, with the Reef having hardly any snow (only in patches) and Goblin Valley looking the same. Hardly any mud too. When we went there last May it was rain-soaked and miserable, so this was a much better experience. Plus, it was Bailey's first time being in the Swell and being able to walk. She had a great time up until when it started to get a bit cold.

(Click on any picture and "all sizes" to see a larger version)

Kids enjoying a movie on our way down

10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Bailey and I walking down into Goblin Valley


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Bailey excited to be out of the car and walking


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


This Goblin is ready to die


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


The Goblin Valley creek was running


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Bailey had to get her toes muddy


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Caiden in meditation


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Practicing my Crane


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


Looking down at the Henry Mountains


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


My lover and I in the valley of Goblins


10.05.10 Goblin Valley


As it got colder we opted to run to the Temple Mountain junction and run around on the reef for a bit. It lasted about 5 minutes when Bailey could not stand being out anymore. We headed back to Green River for bad food and bad beds.

No comments: